Below you’ll find my high-level guidance on the problem slide of your pitch deck. Scroll to the bottom to jump to a different slide or download our free workbook.
The goal of “The Problem” slide is to grab the attention of the reader. Everyone in the room should be left thinking “wow, that is a problem that needs to be fixed.”
Keep the information on this slide to a minimum. Include relevant statistics, quotes, and others supporting information if necessary. Otherwise, the only thing on the slide should be the problem.
Remember to NEVER exaggerate statistics. There is no faster way to lose credibility than embellishing your numbers.
Don’t assume that investors know anything about the particular problem you’re solving. Make sure to frame the problem in a way that someone with no industry knowledge would understand.
- Communicate the problem in 1-2 sentences
- Grab their attention. Some examples: Alarming statistic, Startling fact, Compelling story, Contradict conventional wisdom
- Include source/citation if necessary
There you have it: My high-level advice for the problem slide in your pitch deck. If you’re looking for slide-by-slide guidance, jump to any section below.
Pitch Deck Guidance Glossary
- How to Pitch to Investors
- Cover Slide Pitch Deck
- Solution / Product Slide Pitch Deck
- Traction Slide Pitch Deck
- Business Model Slide Pitch Deck
- Go To Market Slide Pitch Deck
- Market Slide Pitch Deck
- Competition Slide Pitch Deck
- Team Slide Pitch Deck
- Ask Slide Pitch Deck
- Closing Slide Pitch Deck
Free Pitch Deck Workbook
We’re excited to share the release of The Founder’s Pitch Deck: a workbook-style Notion template with slide-by-slide guidance and inspiration.
Here’s what’s included:
1. A step-by-step Notion workbook guiding you through every slide of your pitch deck.
2. A built-in note-taking system to capture your ideas and inspirations.
3. An automation feature that presents you with a summary of your notes, ready for your pitch.
4. A selection of customizable Canva slide templates to create visually stunning presentations.
5. A comprehensive Notion database to keep track of your fundraising journey.
We want to get your company backed by the right people, so we’re making this resource completely free. Click here to download it from Gumroad.
StartupStage is the platform to showcase your startup and compete for features across our channels. Hit the button below to submit your company!